Unit Quotas Procedures
Unit Quotas Policy
Definition of terms
Unit-set: A unit-set comprises a list of units or rules which constitute a logical set of units. Unit-sets are used to define a student's nominated path of study, and include such concepts as majors, minors, strands, streams and lists.
Setting Unit Quotas
In determining the appropriate quota for a unit-set or unit, Faculty Boards will require:
- the name of the unit-set or unit;
- the number of enrolments, by unit-set or unit, for the previous three years;
- the reason for the quota, such as restricted availability of suitably qualified staff, space, technical or other equipment; and
- an indication of any previous quotas set in the previous three years.
Where a unit-set or unit is taught across multiple campuses, or employs multiple modes of teaching delivery, faculties may impose campus-specific or mode-specific quotas. In such cases, Faculty Boards must be provided with the rationale for the imposition of the category-specific quotas.
- Where a unit-set or unit has a quota imposed, this information, including when possible the number of the quota, is to be published as soon as practicable in suitable publicly available sources of course, unit-set or unit information;
- The criteria employed in selecting students for admission to a unit-set or unit limited by a quota are to be published in the same way.
Enrolling in Quota-Limited Units and Unit-sets
- Notwithstanding any imposed quota, all students for whom a unit is a core requirement must be able to enrol in that unit without impediment, subject to meeting any relevant progress constraints.
- Students attempting to enrol in a quota-limited unit or unit-set must normally be notified of the outcome of their enrolment attempt at least one week prior to the commencement of that unit or unit-set in the case of on-campus learning, or one week prior to the last day to add off-campus learning units in the case of off-campus learning.
- Students are to be notified by email to their Monash student email account of the outcome of their attempt to enrol in a quota-limited unit or unit-set.
Content Enquiries: Education Policy Unit
University Policy Use Only:
|Version Number: 1.0||Effective Date: 23-February-2011||Contact: adm-PolicyBank@monash.edu|